Chris Evans as Captain America

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Anyone who knows me well knows where Captain America ranks on my list of favourite superheroes. There's Hal Jordan, then Barry Allen (Green Lantern and Flash, respectively) and then we have Cap.

I've read Cap for over 30 years. I loved reading his World War II stories as a member of The Invaders (more on a particular issue of that book in the next blog), the story arc where he was encouraged to run for President, and myriad more. The issue where he died upset me, mainly because it meant my three favourite heroes from my childhood had all been killed off at one point or another.

When I heard that Marvel was going to make a Cap movie, I immediately had images of Mark Valley donning the red, white and blue. Valley has the jaw, the acting chops and most importantly, he's imposing enough to play Cap.

However, news broke last week that Chris Evans is going to bring Cap to life on the big screen. Yes, Chris Evans, the smart-ass Human Torch from the Fantastic Four movies. To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. Le sigh.

I can only hope that he plays Cap serious...if he brings the occasionally douchy aspect of the Torch to the role, I'm going to walk out of the theatre. Okay, so I won't walk out...but I won't be happy.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP