Oscar Predictions

Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'm a huge movie fan, and I'm amped up to watch The Academy Awards tonight. Having seen all 10 nominated films, I can safely say that most of them are worthy of taking home the big prize. Except for Avatar.

Visually, it was beautiful. Storywise, however? It was Dances with Fern Gully. And don't get me started on Unobtainium. Was Hardtofindium taken? For the love of all things good and pure, Cameron!

My favourite film of 2009 was Quentin Tarantino's magnum opus, Inglourious Basterds. In any other year, the World War II epic would be a virtual lock to win Best Picture.
This year, however, it's a distant third to Avatar and The Hurt Locker.

If Tarantino's best picture actually wins Best Picture, there will be nobody, save maybe the director himself, happier about it than I. Last year, I was five for six in my picks, missing only Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke in the Best Actor category.

On to my fearless predictions!

Best Picture
What Will Win: The Hurt Locker
What Should Win: Not Avatar


Yes, James Cameron seemingly reinvented the wheel with his visual masterpiece about the Na'vi and their homeworld, Pandora.

However, Cameron failed to budget enough to pay for a good script, and that's what will lead to the film's downfall on Sunday night.

The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds are both much stronger stories, as are most of the other nominees, but it's THL that will emerge victorious.

The film about an elite army bomb squad based in Iraq had viewers riveted to the edge of their seats...me included.

Best Director
Who Will Win: James Cameron
Who Should Win: Kathryn Bigelow


I for one will be rooting against Cameron to take the title of Best Director, in part so I don't have to hear him scream how he's the king of the world or the emperor of the universe or some other made-up title during his acceptance speech.
His ex-wife, Bigelow, should get the distinction of being Oscar's first female winner of Best Director, mainly because she made a better movie (Hurt Locker) than Cameron did.

Best Actor
Who Will Win: Jeff Bridges
Who Should Win: Jeff Bridges


I haven’t seen Crazy Heart yet, but from all accounts, Bridges is playing the same role Rourke played in The Wrestler, a performance Rourke should have been recognized for: a broken-down former superstar looking for one more chance at glory.
Were it not for Bridges, I'd put George Clooney (Up In The Air) and Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) in a virtual tie for the award.

Best Actress
Who Will Win: Sandra Bullock
Who Should Win: Carey Mulligan


From the moment I saw An Education, I declared that its young star, Carey Mulligan, gave the best performance by a lead actress in any movie this year.
I maintain that her turn as a brainy schoolgirl in 1960's London is still the role of the year, but she'll be overshadowed by Sandra Bullock's turn as Leigh-Anne Tuohy in The Blind Side.
Bullock will benefit from people having actually seen her movie, which enjoyed much greater box office success than Mulligan's film.I think Bullock was great, but I won't shed a tear if Mulligan upsets her on Sunday.

Best Supporting Actor
Who Will Win: Christoph Waltz
Who Should Win: Christoph Waltz

This is the easiest of the awards for me to declare a winner for. When I saw Inglourious Basterds the weekend it was released in August, I immediately put Waltz at the top of the Best Supporting Actor list.
His portrayal of Hans Landa, a nefarious German officer, was the stuff of legend. It's his award to lose, and has been for months.

Best Supporting Actress
Who Will Win: Mo'Nique
Who Should Win: Mo'Nique

With apologies to the dynamic Up In The Air duo of Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga, this award is going to Mo'Nique.
Her performance in Precious as the worst on-screen mother since Faye Dunaway brought Joan Crawford to life in Mommie Dearest was a star-making one. You hate her character, but admire the performer for taking such a role.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP